Sunday, February 10, 2013

"Where's my Daddy?"

I've envisioned several times when Sidekick will ask me, "Where is my Daddy?"  It's a moment that worries me.  It's a moment that makes me realize that Sidekick knows there is something "different" about our family.  It's the moment when I might feel like I have let him down by not giving him a daddy and a traditional family.  At the same time, in my head it seems like an easy conversation because I'll explain to him that I wanted him so badly that I had to get him a different way.  Seems easy, right?  Ha! 

I've bought two books for him explaining our situation, one with a real person (Just the Baby for Me) and one with a lion and her cub (Why Don't I have a Daddy?). I realize that some of Sidekick's friends might have a mommy and a daddy that don't live together, while some might have two mommies or two daddies.  Thankfully we live in a society where a lot more is accepted.  It's so great to have the ability to have a child regardless of someone's situation. Nonetheless, while Sidekick makes his way through the world, he'll have this Donor Dad thing hanging over his head.  He'll never know his "Dad".  Sidekick will have the information I have from Donor Dad's profile and a picture of him when he was about two years old.  All the while, Sidekick's birth certificate remains blank for the Father's Name. 

I am hopeful that one day I'll meet a great guy who will either have children of his own or will want to have children; thus giving Sidekick some siblings. In the meantime, I will continue to raise a confident, happy, funny, and strong little person who will be all of that and more when he is a man.  In the meantime, I'll just wait until that question about his daddy comes up.  Thankfully I've got time to ponder my response.

So... if you are a SMC, how do you plan to explaining things to your baby?

No comments:

Post a Comment