Sunday, February 10, 2013

"Is that Sidekick's Daddy?"

I find it very ironic that earlier today I wrote about Cooper asking me about his daddy, and today the question came out of a 3 1/2 year old's mouth.  My good friend and her daughter came to visit us today.  To set the stage, I have this picture in a large black and white canvas in Cooper's room:


Lauren (3 1/2) saw the canvas and asked if that was Sidekick's daddy.  Her mom and I looked at each other, laughed, and then quickly changed the subject.  I didn't know if I should be offended that she thought I was a man : ) or shocked that she was putting things together and wondering about Sidekick's daddy.  In Lauren's eyes, I'm not sure it matters that Sidekick doesn't have a daddy.  She loves this little guy with or without a daddy.  Kids are resilient, forgiving, and non-judgemental.  We could learn something from them quite often if we were more receptive to their goings-on in the world.  (I'll write about my nephew asking about Sidekick's dad another day because that's a very interesting perspective as well.)  Regardless, it makes me smile when I think about it because her sweet, little innocence came to the forefront of Sidekick's world.

No comments:

Post a Comment