Saturday, February 23, 2013

"Did you have a volunteer?"

I previously wrote about 3 1/2 year old Lauren asking if a picture she saw was Sidekick and his daddy.  I know that questions will be coming up from kids in Sidekick's life who are older than him, and I know Sidekick will one day ask about his daddy.  My almost nine year old nephew has been asking his mom and dad how babies are made.  My sister and brother-in-law decided to have "the talk" with him shortly before Christmas.  They've always been open and honest with him about everything, and together they explained how a baby is made: two people fall in love, get married, have sex (sperm and egg unite), make a baby.  Simple, and he understood it and handled it well.  (He did comment how he was sad that Sidekick doesn't have a daddy.) 

Fast forward a few days, and my nephew was in the car telling their neighbor that Baby Sidekick is coming for Christmas.  All of a sudden a light bulb went off:  How did my aunt have a baby?!  We knew this would happen because my nephew knows that I'm not married let alone have a man in my life.  My sister quickly changed the subject and drove away. 

I was washing dishes on Christmas Eve day while we were preparing dinner when my nephew came to me to talk about Sidekick's daddy. He asked, "Did you have a volunteer? What's his name?"  He was so proud of himself for figuring it out.  My sister jokingly asked, "His name or his number?"  We both laughed.

My nephew didn't ask anything else, and he seemed satisfied with this "arrangement" Sidekick's daddy and I had.  He didn't judge at all.  He loves Sidekick even though he doesn't have a daddy.  I wonder when the wheels in his head will start spinning again, but for now, he's happy now that he knows how Sidekick came to be. 

If you are a SMC, how much information do you provide to older kids about your baby's daddy?

No comments:

Post a Comment