Sunday, February 17, 2013

First Time Really Feeling Overwhelmed, Exhausted, and Spent!

I really have never felt the challenge of being a single Momma until this week.  A couple of days ago, I wrote about Sidekick being sick and me having a busy, crazy work week.  Sidekick was feeling great and ready to go to school Friday.  When I picked him up, he was fine and in pretty good spirits.  That night, he woke up crying a couple of times (got himself back to sleep) but woke up for good before the sun rose (which never happens!).  I knew it was going to be a bad day, and I was definitely not looking forward to it being Saturday.  He took horrible naps and screamed a lot during the day.  Today seems to be a repeat of yesterday, and while he is whining in his crib at the moment, that little dude better take a long nap. 

Being outside typically makes Sidekick happy.  It's in the upper 30's today, but that has never stopped us from going for a walk.  I bundled him up, grabbed Dog, and off we went.  He was happy the entire time (of course).  When the wind blew in his face, he sucked it in through his nose and laughed.  When he could see Macey, he laughed at her.  He took in the blue sky and birds flying.  He was content.  Forty five minutes later, we came home and I took him out of the stroller only to find him missing a sock.  Of course that would happen because that's just the weekend it's been.  Thankfully he had a blanket on him, but I still felt bad his little toes were so cold. Since the stroller was put away and the dog was inside, Sidekick and I walked around nearby in hopes of finding it, but we had no success.  I threw him in the car seat and drove around the neighborhood until we came upon it.  If it was a plain sock, I wouldn't worry, but it was one of my favorite socks of his, so I had to find it. 

See how cute and innocent he looks during this walk?  This is so NOT who my baby has been for seven days!  He can fake out anyone!



So, going back to the heading of this entry... Sidekick has always been a good baby, but after seven days of him being sick and/or constantly crabby, my limits and patience have been pushed and tested!  I haven't been to the gym in a week, Macey hadn't been walked in days until today, and I haven't had a chance to clean my home...  all because I have had a sick and crabby baby.  I have absolutely no one to whom I can hand him (even if for a brief moment so I can make lunch).  He is all mine 24/7, except when he is at school.  I have felt the pressures this week, and I'd be lying if I said I can't wait to take him to school tomorrow!  It is a company holiday for me, so I plan to clean, work out, and have a massage.  This Momma needs a break and a little relaxation. 

I am thankful that Sidekick is normally such a easy and good baby.  But when he is having an "off" day (or in this case, week), he is horrible!  I know being a working mom is hard, but add the word "single" in front of that, and it gets just a little harder.  But when I look at that cute picture above, I can't help but smile and love him.

Fellow SMC, when did you feel overwhelmed for the first time?

No comments:

Post a Comment