Friday, November 15, 2013

My Future in the Corporate World- ugh!

I've been with my company for 14 years.  I've been loyal to my company for 14 years.  I've worked hard for 14 years.  I've hit my sales goal over and over again.  All of that doesn't matter because my job is up in the air right now.  My current sales position is in the wrong place at the wrong time.  It doesn't matter that I am the highest performer in my district or one of the highest in my region.  I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time, and this particular position is going away in some way or another.  I'm currently working a territory that I know I will not have.  I'm working at a company that I might not be working for.  My motivation is lacking.  I'm on a conference call/webinar right now barely paying attention because it could all be irrelevant, so I am typing in my blog instead.  I've been through company transitions over and over again, I've made the "cut" year after year, and I've been constantly thrown different territories.  I've embraced all of the changes.  This time around, I'm really nervous.

"Best" case scenario, I'll move into a sales position in a different division/department, and I have no idea what my territory will be.  I'm afraid it will be multiple states, and as a SMC with no family living in the same state, that's not very doable.  To me, that's not the "best" case scenario.  I'm almost hoping I'm offered a severance package because I know it'll be a good one.  A severance package would mean I could move to where my sister or mom is and find a new job there while I am still collecting a paycheck.  A severance package seems to somehow open different doors and allows me to explore my options a little more freely.  I just took my condo off the market with the holiday season approaching, but I can throw it back on if I want to move out of state. 

So... my future with my company is out of my hands.  I'm calm and collected.  Everything happens for a reason, and I'll be okay regardless of what happens.  I've got plenty of money in savings, so I don't need to worry about paying bills if my severance package runs out before I find a job (I'm pretty sure that won't happen).  It just sucks that hard work and loyalty don't really matter in this situation. I think the hardest part is not knowing what's going to happen.  I hate that.

2 comments:

  1. You are fortunate that this is not a financial crisis. So many people can't say that these days. Not knowing where you'll be in a few months is difficult. Most of us SMCs want to be certain of our future even more than most. Hoping everything comes together (one way or another) soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about SMCs and our financial future. It's can be very unsettling. Being a mom has taught me to be patient and not worry about things that are out of my control, so that's what I'm trying to do. Thankfully, I've saved for years and years to have a good financial cushion for a time like this. Phew! I believe that everything happens for a reason, so whatever happens is meant to be.

      Delete