Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween (Generic though it may be)

Last year for Halloween, Sidekick didn't dress up.  What's the point?  He was 3 1/2 months old, but I at least put him in skeleton PJs.  After Halloween last year, I went to a Halloween store to see what costumes were on sale.  I was shocked at how expensive they were!  What happened to home-made costumes like we wore???  I feel like these "costumes-in-a-bag" make Halloween less exiting. How many Supermans, Belles, Spidermans, and Cinderellas can there be?  It's all so generic now and it bums me out because when I was a kid, I loved coming up with my Halloween costume and seeing how creative people got.  I must admit that I purchased Sidekick's costume (for a great price), but I wanted to find one that was appropriate for who he is, and lo and behold, I found a Sock Monkey costume!  Sidekick's bedroom is designed around Sock Monkeys, my baby shower had Sock Monkeys, his 1st birthday was all about Sock Monkeys, and his Christmas stocking is Sock Monkey material, so this costume was fitting.  I'm pretty sure we'll be Sock Monkyed out after this, but for today, it's perfect, and his costume was a hit when I dropped him off at school.




Since Sidekick goes to sleep so early (7:00), Trick or Treating will be up in the air.  We are going to meet some friends and see how long he makes it.  Hopefully he'll have so much fun that we'll make it to more than a few houses.  Last year, we went out with friends just to hang out with them, and Sidekick cried through the three houses we visited because it was past his bedtime.  Even at 3 1/2 months old, he was a scheduled kid. I'm hoping for better success tonight!

It's so much fun to see holidays and kid related experiences through my son's eyes.  It just makes life that much more special. 

1 comment: