Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Happy 2nd Birthday, Sidekick!

I can't believe that my little Sidekick is TWO!  Where has the time gone?  The other day on the news, the weather person mentioned that two years ago that day, was the first day of setting a record for the most consecutive triple digits temperature days.  She didn't have to remind me!  I was nine months pregnant and walking my dog at 11:00 PM when it was still in the 90's. I was doing anything to get this baby out of me regardless of how hot it was.

My due date was July 15th, and I was scheduled for induction on the 17th (which I didn't want) because Sidekick was measuring on the big side.  On July 7th, while filling up Dog's water bowl, a trickle ran down my leg.  I was pretty sure I hadn't peed in my pants, yet I was baffled because that didn't seem like enough to be considered my water.  I had plans that night to get a manicure and pedicure and go to dinner as my last hoorah before this little guy arrived.  By about 1:30, I called the doctor to see if maybe it was my water, and he said to go get checked.  With my plans in place for the evening, I had to get this wrapped up quickly.  I grabbed my suitcase and drove myself to the hospital.  I went in and was 2 cm (I was one cm the day before at my weekly appointment).  The doctor couldn't tell if that was my water leaking, so she told me to hang around and walk the halls for an hour.  I called my friend and mom to let them know what was going on, and while talking to my friend, a huge gush occurred. Yep, I was officially in labor and I was staying. 

My stepdad had just had his voice box removed about ten days prior because of cancer, and since he was in a rehab facility for a couple of more days, my mom hopped on a plane and arrived at about 8:00 while my best friend got her family settled and came at 6:30 with blue nail polish in hand t do my pedicure. I was hooked up to the monitor and was having strong contractions that I wasn't feeling at all, which baffled all the nurses.  I finally started pushing at 5:30 AM the next day, and Sidekick finally arrived at 8:48 AM... just shy of 24 hours after my water started leaking.  I was in love (and starving and exhausted) the minute I saw him.  I was so afraid I wouldn't have that connection with him right away, but as soon as he was put in my arms, my entire life changed and I felt love for someone that I have never felt before.

Fast forward two years, and this little guy is better than I could have ever imagined!  He is smart, funny, sweet, and brings me such joy.  I honestly don't have much complaining to do about him because he is better than I could have ever imagined.  He has filled a place in my heart that was empty for so long. 




I decided before his first birthday, that we would release a balloon every year on his birthday in honor of his donor.  Right now it obviously means nothing to him, but to me, it is a way to thank someone who helped me fulfill my dreams. Even though he doesn't understand, I explained to him that we are going to honor his Donor (to which he said "For Donor") and he gracefully let it fly into the sky. I also made a treasure box for him last year.  In it will be a letter written to him every year until I decide to give the box to him.  In each envelope is money for the number of years old he is.  By the time he opens it, there will be a lot of cash for him!  I'm already wondering what I wrote to him last year, but it's something I have looked forward to doing this year as I capture the year in review.

On a sad note, my stepdad who had is voice box removed due to cancer shortly before Sidekick was born is on hospice and only has a couple of days to live. At the last minute, I gave Sidekick my stepdad's first name as his middle name to honor his grandpa. It's sad to think that Sidekick will probably never remember him, but I will always remember to tell Sidekick how much is grandpa loved him and fought two years until his body could not fight any longer.   

Tonight I threw an impromptu party for Sidekick.  The people who love him so much and I consider our family came for cupcakes and ice cream.  As soon as we started singing to him, he wrapped his little arm around me while I was kneeling next to him.  My heart just melted and I even shed a little tear.  My boy is just so sweet and for the first time ever, I felt like he knows we are really a team. 

I am such a lucky woman to call him my son.  Cheers to an incredible two years!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Sidekick! I can tell how proud you make your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Sidekick!

    What a handsome boy he's growing into. I don't remember ever reading your birthday story - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Sidekick!!! I hope you have another wonderful year ahead of you!!

    I remember that exact heatwave all too well also (my son is one week older than Sidekick)! It was 103 degrees (with 100% humidity) here that week too, and I remember standing in our hospital room holding my newborn, and looking out the window, thankful that I could control the temp in our room!

    ReplyDelete