Sunday, January 8, 2012

Beginning to Feel Less Like Death

Before I was pregnant, I was prepared for morning sickness.  What I was not prepared for what all day sickness.  I had been battling it since I was just a little over four weeks pregnant, and nothing seemed to help, not even the prescription I was given.  Last week seemed to have been when it subsided a bit, and I felt like a whole new person!  Unlike most pregnant women, I do not have the exhaustion; instead, I have insomnia!  It sucks badly because when I lie awake in the middle of the night for hours at a time, I wish I knew what exhaustion felt like.

Since I began feeling more "normal" last week, I took that as a sign to get my butt in gear and begin working out again.  Working out throughout my pregnancy has always been a goal of mine because there are so many benefits (maintain weight gain, easier delivery, quicker recovery).  I started slowly last week and just took a two mile fast paced walk.  It doesn't sound like much, but I could tell that my body was just different than it had been while I was training for my half marathons.  Today I set out to run two miles.  Unfortunately, I have such a high heart rate when I run that it ended up being almost 1 1/2 miles broken up in half and then a half mile walk.  Since I haven't done anything for about 11 weeks, I'm trying to accept the fact that 1 1/2 miles is good.  When I run, my heart rate is normally in the 170s which is a complete "no-no" during pregnancy.  I'm not sure I'll ever be able to maintain it in the 140s for a long period of time, but some type of activity is better than none.

I told my business partner last week that I am pregnant.  I was really worried about telling her because I wasn't sure she would be okay with my choice.  I was so wrong!  She was thrilled and so excited for me!  She even said she thought I would do something like this if I hadn't met a great guy.  I then told my neighbors who were ecstatic!  I was so nervous about telling them because they are old enough to be my baby's grandparents, so I was afraid they were going to be old school.  They offered to help me with anything during the pregnancy and when the baby arrives, told me how proud they are of me, and brought me flowers the next day.  I have always been of the mindset that people will know how I got pregnant and that I thought long and hard about making this very difficult decision.  I don't want people to think I had a one night stand or that I am irresponsible and don't know about protection.  I'm not embarrassed at all about how I did this.  Now that the people I have told are so supportive of me, I'm ready to tell the world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment