Monday, November 29, 2010

Trial Run... Sort of! (Okay, not really close at all.)

My 3 1/2 year old nephew had 2/3 of his kidney removed the week of Thanksgiving, so I went to Florida to take care of my older nephew while the little one was in the hospital. While I was only responsible for keeping the six year old alive for three days, it was good practice to see what it would feel like to be a single mom. All in all, it was pretty easy, but he is six and fairly independent so it wasn't a real indication of how things would be. He did however make it seem very real when he fought me on teeth brusing, washing his hands well before meals especially after being at the hospital, and throwing a temper tantrum or two. Oh yeah! How can I forget that he likes to wake up at 6:15 AM! Yikes! On the other hand, what made me kind of sad was when he said to me while we were sitting down to dinner, "I'm six years old now. When are you going to get married? It's been long enough." What's going to happen when he might get a cousin but that cousin will not be accompanied by a father?

So my easy going life where I am responsible for myself and my dog was turned a little upside down for a week. It made me think even more than I am already thinking... can I have a child on my own? The answer still remains "yes" even though I have some trepidation. Who doesn't have crazy thoughts and fears about having a child? Mine might be a little worse because it would be just me responsible for a little one. But keeping my nephew safe, making sure he ate well, ensuring that he was happy, and tucking him in at night were things that make me want to have a child. While it was exhausting and I needed to recouperate when I got home, my life just didn't seem worthwhile when I napped on my sofa the day after I got home. That's got to mean something, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment