Wednesday, May 7, 2014

How Much Sleep Does my 22 Month Old Need?

Sidekick has always been a great sleeper, and he still is but...

When I put him in his crib around 7:45 PM, he is wide awake sometimes until 9:00!  On those nights, I have to wake him up at 7:15 in the morning to get him ready to go to school.  I'm certainly not complaining because he is happy and content in his crib, but I feel badly that he is still awake in there when I think that maybe he should be spending that time with me.

I am a firm believer that kids need a reliable schedule especially when it comes to sleeping/napping.  I started a bedtime routine when he was four weeks old (which is when he started sleeping eight hours).  I've always put him in his crib before he is tired (because of a book I read about good sleeping habits), and it has always worked for him. So, I never really know when he is tired because I put him to sleep before he shows signs.

He naps at school at 12:15 for an average of 1 1/2 hours.  On the weekends, he naps from about 1:00-3:00. He loves sleep. In the mornings when he wakes up, he'll hang out in his crib for a really long time, and when I finally get him, he will say "ni-night" over and over again because he loves being in there.  Is my child a recluse?  : )

So, my question is, should I keep doing what I am doing, or should I put him to sleep later?  A bedtime past 8:00 seems so late for a kid his age. 

1 comment:

  1. My 14-month-old doesn't get tired until 8 or sometimes later. I always put her to sleep between 8 and 9, and she sleeps through the night until 8 or 8:30am. I don't think a bedtime past 8 is too late... especially when the sun is up until then.

    ReplyDelete