Monday, January 28, 2013

Halfway Through Sidekick's First Year of Life

It's hard to believe that around this time last year I had just announced I was pregnant to my colleagues and Facebook friends (I waited until about 16 weeks to let the cat out of the bag), and now my little guy is able to sit up on his own! I am just amazed at how much he has changed in just 6 1/2 short months. He brings me so much happiness, and while being a single mom can be a challenge at times (primarily when it comes to laundry and cleaning), my little Sidekick just blends into my life.  I don't feel like he has disrupted my life at all.  I still go out to dinner, go shopping, go for four mile walks (now with him), sleep great (better than before I was even pregnant), and enjoy life (more).  He has added to my life and made it so much more fulfilling.

I want a second baby.  Yep, I do.  I've wanted one for a while.  Part of it is because I love being a mom and can handle being a single mom, and the other part is because Sidekick is such an incredibly good baby. He would make anyone want to have a baby.  Unfortunately, because of finances, I can only afford one.  Daycare is really expensive, and if I hadn't started saving long before I started trying to get pregnant, I'd be strapped.  I jokingly asked the owner of his daycare if she would give me a "two for one".  While she completely supports what I have done, she won't do that, but she did say that she'd give me a great discount. So it appears that if I can't find a great guy to marry and have another baby, it'll just be me and my Sidekick, and I am a-ok with that!

Since I've resigned to the fact that I'll only have one baby, I have started selling his baby equipment that he is not using and putting the money into his college fund.  There's no sense in keeping any of it for the possibility or hope that I'll get married and have another baby.  If I do, then I'll just start all over with my husband. In the meantime, it's time to get rid of the old stuff and make room for the new stuff in my little, cramped condo.

Life is great with my Sidekick. We never know where life will take us, but I believe that what's meant to be is meant to be.  I thought that each and every time I had my eight IUIs. It had to be the "right" egg and the "right" sperm to get my perfect baby, and if it wasn't meant to be then I would not have Sidekick.  Before my eighth try to get pregnant I had decided that was going to be my last because I was emotionally and physically drained.  I was originally going to try six times, but for some reason I forged ahead, and I have Sidekick to show for it. It's funny how things work out...

No comments:

Post a Comment