Monday, April 27, 2015

Birthday Party, Conversation, Dating, and Pics

I've been stressing out Sidekick's 3rd birthday coming up in July.  I'm not one to do big bashes and have gone back and forth with the whole birthday party thing.  He's been to a couple of birthday parties the past couple of months, and he's had so much fun!  He knows what they are, so I feel pressured to do something, but seriously, he's THREE!

I looked into to renting out a cool indoor playground at a church (crazy, huh?).  I made a list of all the kids we would invite, some are his best friends and some are just acquaintances.  Where does one draw the line?  Then I had the challenge of trying to figure out the right time of day. July sucks to have a birthday.  Between family vacations, sports, activities, etc., I was worried that very few people would be able to attend his special day, and that would make me sad. I realized that although he knows all of the people who we would invite, he doesn't hang out with them on a regular basis. And then after a couple of hours obsessing about it, it dawned on me. Sidekick doesn't need a big bash. He doesn't know the difference between having five people or 25 people at his party.  He doesn't need presents (I was going to ask for donations to a charity in honor of him in lieu of presents anyway).  He just needs to have a celebration, a small celebration.  So, what did I decide to do? 

I'm inviting five of his close friends to go to Build a Bear Workshop with us.  He'll always remember that day as long as he has his bear.  I'm hoping the other kids haven't gone, so that it'll be a new experience for all of them.  I'm excited about it!  It's right up his alley and it's with his best friends with whom he will closely spend the time.  It's perfect, and I'm happy.

*******************************

The other day out of the blue I had this conversation with him:

Sidekick:  My daddy is dead.
Me:  Really?  Who is your daddy?
Sidekick:  Grandpa Jack.  He's in the sky (he passed away last summer and Sidekick was there).  You need to find me anudder Daddy.

Ugh! I explained to him that Grandpa Jack was his grandpa, not his daddy. He didn't buy it. Now he keeps telling me he needs a new Daddy. 

Shortly after that conversation, he told me that God misses him.  That kind of freaked me out!  I sure hope that God doesn't miss him and want/need him anytime soon.  Yikes!

************************************

Dating... I'm back on an online dating site!  Crazy, I know.  I joined before Sidekick told me he needs a "annuder" Daddy.  Ha!  I've been emailing a guy who has a great sense of humor and from what I can tell, he has his shit together.  He prefaced our emails with the fact that he is super busy with work the next few weeks and doesn't have time to date anyone, but that he hopes that I am not taken by then.  Hmmmm... I'm not sure how I feel about the timing of the possibility of meeting him because regardless of how busy we are, we make time for people if we want to.  Anyway, I'm not stressing about it and am just going to see what happens between now and a few weeks.  Who cares!  The idea of dating with a child scares me anyway.  How does that even look?

*************************************

Sidekick and I had some family pictures taken.  Here are a few:


This boy never lets me kiss him, and when I'm successful, he wipes it off.



I love this boy so damn much that is hurts. I count my blessings every day.  Maybe one day, we'll find a man to love both of us.  

1 comment:

  1. Your plan for his birthday sounds perfect! The pics are very nice.

    ReplyDelete