Thursday, November 12, 2015

"My daddy is dead."

I had an interesting conversation with Sidekick's teacher the other day.  Apparently, while some kids were sitting at the table, the following conversation occurred:

Girl:  My mommy is picking me up today.
Boy:  My daddy is picking me up today.
Sidekick:  My daddy is dead.

I have never told Sidekick is Daddy is dead.  He knows he has a Donor that "helped Momma find a baby" (his words).  Sometimes he'll tell me that his grandpa who passed away last year is his daddy. He's been asking about his daddy since he was 2 1/2 years old.  When I was pregnant with him and when he was a baby, I never thought I'd be having these conversations with him at such a young age.

I talked to him when we got home and reminded him that he doesn't have a Daddy he has a Donor and that there are many different types of families. He was adamant that his Daddy is dead.  While Sidekick is only three, his brain is definitely older than three (according to daycare director and pediatrician), so I try to bring conversations to his level, which seem to be more advanced than they should be (if that makes sense).  He's asked me several times when I am going to find him a Daddy, and I always chuckle in my head that if it was that easy, I wouldn't have chosen to be a SMC.

I think he misses the idea of having a Daddy without truly feeling like he is "missing out" on having a Daddy. But one day soon, he could feel like he is truly missing out, despite how normal and complete I try to make our family.  I am still hopeful that I will get married someday and he will have a Daddy, but I don't promise him that because no one can predict the future.  Gosh, I sure wish we could because if I wasn't going to happen, I'd stop trying online dating.  Ugh! 

Fortunately, he has dropped this idea (or at least telling others) that his Daddy is dead, but I'm not sure he has buried it (haha!).  Just another wonderful parenting moment of being a SMC!

No comments:

Post a Comment